Here’s how to prevent Automatic Update from rebooting your machine:
- Start -> Run
- Type: gpedit.msc
- Expand Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update
- Double-click “No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations”
- Select “Enabled”, then OK. Close the Group Policy configuration
- You need Administrator priveleges to make this setting.
- Some people complained that Windows ignored the “no auto-restart” setting for the WMF patch. Potentially a ID 10T error, though.
In the comments, there was another good tip for Windows Server 2003: Under Administrative Templates / System right-click on “Display Shutdown Event Tracker” and select properties. Select Disabled to prevent Windows from asking for a reason why you are shuting down Win2003 Server.