I just received an email from Microsoft about changes to the submission and and hosting of Windows Live Writer plug-ins. It goes into effect on September 10, 2010 (one month from now). Live Writer is a great blogging tool and it has a nice API for extending it’s functionality. If you use Live Writer, you should check out the plug-ins at Windows Live Gallery.
I submitted a SmugMug plug-in a couple of years ago. It will need to be resubmitted. Actually, I’ll probably rewrite it. I’m sure it’s obsolete by now. Here are the contents of the email.
Dear Windows Live Writer plug-in authors,
On behalf of the Windows Live Writer team and all of our customers, thank you for the valuable contributions your plug-ins have made to the Writer experience.
We’re writing to let you know that Writer’s plug-in hosting and submission processes are changing. Note: Existing plug-ins currently hosted on Windows Live Gallery will need to be resubmitted using the new process outlined below. In the future, should you wish to provide additional plug-ins for Writer, we request that you also submit your plug-ins using this process.
We hope that you find the new plug-in submission process and hosting solution simple and lightweight. New plug-in submission process:
- Author uploads plug-in MSI installer to Windows Live SkyDrive using his/her Windows Live ID (email address).
- Author emails firstname.lastname@example.org (Windows Live Essentials Plug-ins) including the following information:
- Author name
- Author Windows Live ID (that will host the plug-in MSI)
- Author contact email address
- Plug-in name
- Plug-in description
- Plug-in category (pick only one):
- Post publishing
- Other content
- URL to plug-in MSI on SkyDrive
- Writer team verifies that the plug-in works as described.
- Writer team updates public list of Writer plug-ins that will include information on the plug-in and a link to the installer that is hosted on the author’s SkyDrive.
- Writer team notifies plug-in author that plug-in has been listed.
We value your efforts and want to ensure that your plug-ins will continue to be accessible for the many people interested in them. In order to do this, we need you to resubmit any existing plug-ins on Windows Live Gallery using this new process by September 10, 2010. You will be able to add more plug-ins after this date, but we need you to move existing plug-ins by then.
The Windows Live Writer Team